13.3.08

My 77th Birthday.

I have arrived at the age of 77 and it hit me,

In three years time you’ll be 80! Wow! Sounds awful!

Then I thought again,

In reality, it is not awful at all - it is an achievement:

I look at the mirror and there are signs of wear, tear, and marks of experience, as well as some extra kilos I can do without. But there are no ailments, no medicine to take; and a blood pressure of 120/80 is nothing to complain about.

I go for walks, body surf and dance –turning and twirling with delight – which is pretty good, and very enjoyable –
I know, I should do more of that…
BUT the computer does not let me, it seems to demand more and more of my time. This is bad, isn’t it?
I hear a voice whisper,
‘Don’t think you are only one who does that,’
Yes. You are right, but that does not change the fact. It only says that you should not do it either, doesn’t it?
It’s true. I should move away from the computer and leave some things for tomorrow…
But… can I? ….

This dialogue is getting me nowhere. I’d better turn my attention to the box I carry on my shoulder,

Well, I decided to keep it. The grey matter within it seems to do a good job, so why change it? As a matter of fact, it seems to be working overtime and is getting better each day.
Does that surprise you? It shouldn’t. You know the saying,

‘Use it - or lose it?,’
I decided:
Better to use it, than to lose it.


As a matter of fact, there are many things I can do today I could not do when I was younger. I have the tools years of accumulating knowledge bring. I can weave together, unknowingly, new understandings, plane new ventures and set new goals without the demands of a growing family and job obligations.

I can achieve all I’ve never dreamed of before - I have reached the golden age. I arrived, and plan to stay here for another fifty years or so, to be able to fulfil all I have put in front of me.

Having come to this conclusion, I look back into my past, and think, Lucky you, you have, in spite of all the difficulties, which are really just challenges, chosen the best period in history to come into this world, and to experience life in places and times your ship docked you in.

Why is that?

It’s because I have been lucky, fortunate or whatever you care to call it, to pick out of the barrel parents who taught me how make hard decisions; How to face adversities without running away; and never complain when the going is tough. They did this by example, by their own actions - not by words.
Not only that, but above all,

They gave me a second change at life by choosing to leave Germany the year Hitler came into power.

By doing so they did not only save my life, but they also gave me one full of purpose and aim to aspire to. They brought me into a society bursting with camaraderie that worked very hard to re-establish Jewish life in the Land of Israel; make the desert bloom, and resurrect the State of Israel – a once in many life-times chance not many get.

I also was fortunate to get out of this barrel a wonderful partner: my life long friend, lover, and the father of our children, who is still with me doting over me.
He taught me how to fly an aircraft instead of flying off the handle at every little thing.
He also taught me to put all the cards on the table and discuss matters sensibly, which made our marriage work.
With him, I had the honour of understanding Chiropractic, which changed my health fortune and my way of looking at life and at the universe at large.

And how lucky am I to witness the first Radio that came into our lives, the first phone connected in our area; the first T.V show when many countries did not have it as yet. Fly in propeller driven aircraft, be a part of every development since, and be able to sit here and write to you from afar though the net.

Now, at 77, I do all that I had no time for when I was working and had the family to attend to.

Since retirement, I wrote a book, which I am trying to promote; as well as about 45 to 50 poems; and painted about the same number of paintings, that I have started to put into a gift book of poems, painting and Life (or thoughts – not so sure about which word I should use here – inputs are invited).

I made my own website and blog, where I write as regularly as I can. I learn all I can on subjects I like, socialize regularly, and travel every so often.

At times I am lost not knowing what to do first, as I would like to do it all at the same time. But I know that is not possible.
I find the days not long enough, neither the weeks nor the years, and think that about another fifty years will do it for me.

So, did I choose the right and places I lived? I think I did.

Now, I'd like to wish a
‘ Happy birthday’>
To all who are having their 77th this month.
I do sincerely hope that you are getting frustrated from over doing rather than under doing


Renate
Artist, poet and the author of
From the Promised Land to the Lucky Country
To look inside my book Click here

14 comments:

Joan Small, Natural Energy Boosters said...

Hi Rina,
I would like to congratulate you, not only on achieving your 77th year, but doing it with health, happiness and continuing optimism for the future. I'm sure you will live on beyond 100 years. I just hope you will be able to fit into these years all that you want to do.
What amazing achievements you have accomplished - your life of adventure and your creativity, and most of all, raising a happy and healthy family and still living in a loving marriage partnership.
I am in awe.

Joan Australia

renate@gmail.com said...

Hi Joan,
Thank you for your congratulation and your kind words.
Life, as far as I am concerned, is for living. We are here, in this life, only once. If we do not do the best of it, we have achieved nothing. We have just 'been' which I think is a pity.
I like therefore, encourage who ever I can and say:
Do not waste it - Live it,
and when satisfied - Leave it.
But not before.

Renate

Anonymous said...

Have this quote from Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach for your 77th birthday:

"In youth we learn, In age we understand".

Happy Birthday Rina.
Thierry.

Bobby Revell said...

Hello! I saw your post in my blogrush widget and just couldn't resist.

Happy 77th Birthday to you! Wow, I am so excited that you are blogging and really enjoyed this post. Life is for living! A simple phrase with so much meaning. I wish you many more years and it's great to meet you:)

renate@gmail.com said...

Hi Anonymous,
How true. Thank you.
Hope life is bringing you the experience to gain the understanding
Enjoy life wherever you can
renate

renate@gmail.com said...

Hi Bobby,
What a wonderful surprise. A real birthday present getting the first comment from a blogrush subscriber.

Pleased you enjoyed the post and hope you'll visit again.
I post about every 7 to 10 days on various subjects.

I do hope you enjoy life, with all its variation, just as much as I do.

Thank you for your birthday greeting. Its great.

Renate

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from Yulia and family:-)
Go forward with the same energy and inquisitiveness to all news!

Anonymous said...

hello rina
until i read your blog i didn't realise you've just celebrated your birthday. HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU RINA !!! :-)

you certainly seem to be enjoying & making the most your 77 years worth of life experiences, & continuing to do so, which is a wonderful thing.

i do agree with you, that often as time goes by, there are things you appear to understand better than you would have in more youthful years. i use the words 'more youthful' loosely, in that i would consider even only 1 year ago i was more youthful than today.

reflecting back in years, & events that happened to yourself, & remembering your own thought processes & decision making leading up to those events..... nowadays you seem have much more insight into your own family & community sphere, that also gives you a much broader, more spiritual & less self-oriented outlook.

younger people's thoughtlessness in their decision making is sometimes quite breathtaking, & you often wonder to yourself, was i that thoughtless too, years ago?

aren't genetics a curious thing? you would think with all your own life's experiences & what you've learned from that, that by the time you have your own children, they would not have to re-learn those experiences. you would expect that those experiences would have planted themselves into your own DNA & so saved your descendents from having to go through the same boring lessons, & that by instinct they would automatically make the right decsion!

as a human race, think how more advanced we could be if DNA could sort all that out for us.... NO MORE going to school, college, university, painting, writing etc. in fact the whole works. just think, we'd be born knowing all that stuff!

we could go straight into new unthought of & untried things & events.

food for thought eh?

cheerio from silkhobby :-)
http://groups.msn.com/AnimalSpirits

Anonymous said...

in you paragraph "....I have started to put into a gift book of poems, painting and Life (or thoughts – not so sure about which word I should use here – inputs are invited)."

you asked for some input - some words that spring to my mind are Reflection, Images, Awareness. perhaps these might stimulate.

cheerio from silkhobby :-)
http://groups.msn.com/AnimalSpirits

renate@gmail.com said...

Hi Israel4u and Silkhobby,
Thank you for your good wishes.

Israel4u -
It was lovely hearing from you. It is a rarity. How are things at your end? Hope all is well.
Enjoy Purim
Renate

Silkhobby -
It amazes me how people take it for granted that as they grow older, their brain stopped working. It is the society that makes them defunct and keeps them out of normal society function.

As for get born with all knowledge -
What is a fun in that? It is the curiosity that makes life so interesting.

Anonymous said...

at the end of the paragraph you said I have started to put into a gift book of poems, painting and Life (or thoughts – not so sure about which word I should use here – inputs are invited).

you asked for some inputs, the only words that spring to my mind are - Reflections, Memories, Retrospective, Contemplations, Inspirations, Relizations, Impressions, Foresight with Hindsight, Everyday Wisdoms. maybe these might help as an alternative to Life or Thoughts.

(this was the other post i sent you which didn't get through the first time. maybe your blog set up doesn't allow 2 separate comments from the same person on the same post?)

cheerio from silkhobby :-)
http://groups.msn.com/AnimalSpirits

renate@gmail.com said...

Hi Silkhobby,
Thanks for the input. It is most welcomed. Will look at them further and see if can use any of them.
Thank you again
Renate

Anonymous said...

You are an inspiration to us all. Many happy returns.

renate@gmail.com said...

Thank you Digitalfrog.
Just posted another post about marriage,
Enjoy and do comment
Renate


Bicurim feast in the kibbutz highschool
Hi Walter and Annette, Thanks for the feedback. Pleased you enjoyed reading it. What happened to the boat, comes in a period after the book ends and maybe a part of the next book...